Monday, October 18, 2010

To Byron, Ballina and back with B

Well last weekend saw me on an impromptu journey up north to visit my darling Brendan - the man in question was feeling "decidedly wealthy" so whisked me up to Ballina to see him. I flew into the Gold Coast as he and Jo (his acting partner in their children's shows) had a performance there that morning. It was lucky I arrived when I did, by the time we got back to Ballina, the weather had turned fairly vile - there was lightish rain but very strong winds. One the upside, they made the mysterious sculptures in Ballina seem all the eerier. We headed out to Lennox head that night for a lovely mexican dinner and then prepared ourselves for Byron.
Byrony...boo
I always enjoy going somewhere new, but I had mixed feelings about going to Byron Bay mainly because the dyslexic among us insist on calling me Byrony. In fact when I saw this sign, I subconsciously started grinding my teeth instantly recalling the plethora of emails I receive where my name is spelled this way. This wouldn't be so bad if my name was part of my email address. Despite my misgivings, I loved it there. After wandering around the main street Brendan and I went on a gorgeous walk up to the lighthouse, posing at the most eastern part of Australia we had a wonderful lunch and then lazed on the wonderful white beaches. I love it when there's so much silica in the sand that it squeaks.
Nice shot barring ridiculous hair action
An inquisitive dragon (?)
















The Amaze 'n' place

Sunday saw a lazy morning and adventure. Brendan had  been going on about this place in Alstonville called Amaze 'n' place that he'd always wanted to go to. Never one to miss a good maze (although I don't remember going to any except for one outside of Wanaka. I must go to some of the ridiculous ones in the UK sometime where they have to send people in at the end of the day to find lost souls. The maze was fun though and full of questions and objects to seek out. To anyone who mysteriously finds themselves with an hour or so to spare in Alstonville (I appreciate this is rather slim pickings) I highly recommend the maze. Not only is it fun, there's also a pun.In the afternoon, Brendan and his partner Jo had to rehearse and perform their new children's show. I've put in a photo below. I wish I got paid to wear a cape! That night we went for dinner with Jo and Dan (he had been in another of Brainstorm's productions) which was a riot. Dan was an interesting character, after a breakup he decided to hitchhike from Adelaide to Brisbane and blog about it as he went. More people apparently read his blog than he anticipated and he was contacted by a fellow from SBS offering him $30k to do the thing again and get it on film. Not bad for something done on a whim!

All for now!
B

No comments:

Post a Comment