Sunday, April 4, 2010

Death Valley: "As I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I take a look at my life and realise there's nothing left" - Coolio

Joshua Tree
For the outlaws
Set off at a reasonable hour and headed to a ghost town called Rhyolite - it had been a fairly big place in 1908 (10,000) when there was a mining boom (2 points if you guess what was mined), but soon enough the mines failed and in 1910 the population was down to about 400. A few years later there were only about 20 left. The we got to the desired destination: Death Valley - a place with an evaporation rate so high you don't even know that you're sweating because any moisture it evaporates as soon as it leaves your pores. This place was just incredible - the valley had had more rain this season than it has in years and there were some areas covered with colour. It was wonderful. Unfortunately the visibility wasn't great for the afternoon we arrived as there was a massive dust storm but it kept the temperature down to about 34 degrees. It was so odd wandering around in the hottest place in the world looking to my left and right being surrounded by flowers on the ground and snow capped mountains about 5 miles away (the Panamints range reaches an elevation of around 11,000 feet, I on the other hand in bad water was around 290 feet below sea level). My photos will tell you more than my words will ( have a look at my facebook). On a fun note, orchids occur in the springs of death valley! Who said they were pathetic???

We were planning on camping that night but the wind was just insane (guys in the car had set up their tent next to us as the angle of their tent was around 45 degrees for most of the night). Thus the car was our tent!

The next morning saw us walking in the mosaic canyon which was incredible and we were lucky enough to spy big horned sheep (they are rather shy). Oh crap I haven't even commented on the animals I've seen so far. Bah.
I saw deer, elk, squirrels and blue jays in grand canyon NP and heard a whole bunch that I didn't see.
Saw a kangaroo rat yesterday which was lovely.
I think this is enough for now. Stay tuned for tales of a Japanese internment camp, a nice village turned into a ghost town because LA took all of their water, swimming in a hot pool whilst being in a landscape surrounded by snow capped mountains. Icicles larger that my head in June Lake.

Miss you all

B

p.s. The song California Dreaming by the Mama's and the Papa's is silly. Sure LA is warm but I'm currently freezing my butt off in a little place called Bishop which is in CA. They should have been more specific and called it Southern California Dreaming
Sierra Nevada Range

No comments:

Post a Comment