Friday, April 16, 2010

Monterey: "Heaven can wait we're only watching the stars" - Forever Young

Monterey Beach - seals in the background
 Now I am well aware that the original singers of this song are german and not from the USA, and that Youth group who covered this song are Australian. I am being dodgy and will use the fact that Jay Z just massacred the song by remixing and adding some terrible rap.

So I'm in Monterey for the next few days, Steinbeck country for those of you were are inclined towards American Literature (I even passed the river where the final sequence of "Of Mice and Men" is set). Well at first glance I'm completely in love with the place. Hey, John Denver liked this area so much he decided to stay here...permanently. Sorry that's rather tasteless and no one likes plane crash jokes.
Still, it's a gorgeous place and I could easily see myself living the kind of life outlined in Tortilla Flats (although I would love to hang out with Danny from the novel, I don't think I'd have the tolerance of he or his friends who regularly down gallon bottles of wine).
Matching the scenery in Monterey
A bit tired to do a proper entry today (probably something to do with getting up at 3am this morning to Skype with the parentals and 4am for Brendan. Crazy.

I will however share with you a poem I wrote while waiting for the train today. 
"I wish all RV's would spontaneously combust" (works to a general country/western tune, I recommend Tim Minchen's "the Good Book" for an idea)

I wish that all RVs would spontaneously combust
I say this in America, where "In God we Trust"
I hope that someday soon I'm going to leave them in the dust
With their owner's lookin' helpless an' their engines turned to rust
Watching the sunset with Franke
I say this 'cause the drivers seem to drive when they are high
They hog the road (they're so damn large) and never let you by
10 miles neath the speed limit? I guess they might get nigh
The frustration brings an angry little tear unto my eye

So please dear God almighty let the RV's all explode
Someone attack the factories and then get the mother load!
And to all the scumbags to'om* I dedicate this ode
Please find yourselves a smaller faster transportation mode
 *to'om = to whom abbr. 

Proper update later!
The lone pine

Squirrels, sneaky

Seahorses from the aquarium






No comments:

Post a Comment