Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Poems and python

Hm, so it appears that my weekly poetry shebang did not exactly last as planned. I did, however, come up with a ditty while riding home today. My parents, in their never ending quest to ensure I do not die under their watch, bought me a very sexy high-vis jacket. This poem I dedicate to them

High-Viz
I have a high viz jacket,
I wear it everyday.
So when I cycle on the roads
I keep out of harms way.

Brendan has challenged me to extend this to all safety equipment. I was able to freestyle a helmet stanza on the phone that I was pretty happy with as well

Helmet
I have a hardy helmet
To protect my fragile head
So if a car runs into me
I will not wind up dead

In other news, I've started a temporary job at Safework Australia as an executive assistant which isn't too bad. It's nice to be in "the workplace" rather than messing around at home. Ironically, one of my first tasks was to climb on a multitude of desks and attach numbers to a ceiling. Most of the time I had to climb up on the desks via a swivel chair. So much for the national office of OH&S.

I've also started teaching myself how to program using Python. So far so good. Although seeing my exceedingly rudimentary level I'm reminded of a book I loved back in highschool "Bach, Beethoven and the Boys" (incidentally, hurrah for the Beethoven trifecta on the classic100) . At the beginning of the chapter on Mozart the author wrote "Whenever you have composed a piece that you are particularly proud of, it is very humbling to remember that Mozart wrote more impressive works age 6." A similar scenario exists except it would be coding and the Mozart is my brother. Furthermore I think my brother was coding in C++ at that age. Joy.

Well we all have to start somewhere and after I master python (ha!), I believe I will venture down the path of R. That would make me truly impressive!

No comments:

Post a Comment