Monday, January 31, 2011

Back!

Well it's been a while since I last updated and things are going peachily. I had a lovely Xmas and New Year (the former being in Bateman's Bay, the latter in Sydney at Brendan's new apartment in Waterloo - very nice indeed!) and while things are going slowly at geoscience I very much enjoy working out there. So far so good although I find that whenever I get into a rhythm something will inevitably change, but this time it's most certainly for the better. This time the changes are as follows.
1. Soon I'll be moving out of the Ainslie house. I've actually quite liked it here, the house itself is nothing special but it suited me nicely in that it was cheap and I've had some time to myself. However, I decided that since I'm earning a decent wage now that I could afford better so soon I and my friend Steph, who I met at the end of last year, will be moving in together in Kingston. At present we're not sure where we will be but I see three key options: 1. formally renting from Steph's parents (I'm pretty happy with this option as the townhouse is lovely and in a great location and they're not charging too much for it at home) 2. potentially Reine's friend's place who is moving overseas – apparently amazing and certainly within budget. Will have to find out more. 3. Somwhere in the Brighton complex – this place looks lovely but is probably the least like option in that last week Steph and I went to an inspection and about 20 or so groups turned up. We decided not to put in for it, but it appears that this is not a good time to be looking...So yes, not this weekend but next weekend I shall be temporarily moving back in the with parentals (options 1 and 2 will be available in early march and the ainslie lease runs out on the 21st but the people taking over the least are happy to do so from the 8th. As I just paid this fortnight's rent, I figured I may as well stay that fortnight and lave a week early since I'll most likely be at the folk's for a week or so anyway (and the parents being the lovely people that they are, are happy to have me back :) )
2. Job change – so I got the second job at GA for the GIS position. Am most happy with this as it means I can refresh old skills, learn new skills and be in a more analytical role rather than data monkey role. It also adds to current plan: learn lots of GIS stuff and hopefully use these skills to undertake youth ambassadorship. The shift in job (and floor, I'm going up to 3rd, how exciting) means I will also not need to hear bizarre beliefs of  a work colleague: regarding the magical powers of crystals, abilities to meditate in the earth's core, how he was a dolphin in a previous life and how gaia gives us instructions through plants.
3. This is not a major change but my latest obsession is that I taken up geocaching. I love it, it's nerdy in the extreme but I really enjoy it. Everyone likes a treasure hunt!
I'm not sure whether I'll keep up with capoeira, I enjoyed the classes I did but it did annihilate my feet. Some friends were planning on taking up yoga so I think if they end up doing it, I'll join them. I think I'd feel less self concious and probably enjoy myself more. We will see...
What else, I've been reading a fair few books lately. To anyone wanting something I certainly recommend Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky (sp?) and The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.
Ideally read these together as there are many parallels – both are highly critical of the French elite but in very different ways: Nemirovsky through holding a mirror up and showing how ridiculous the values and wants are, Barbery through direct criticism by one of the two narrators. I found both books to be extremely touching and beautiful (although I do wish there was slightly less philosophy in the Barbery's as my eyes, or in my case ears as I was listening to it, glaze over a little when character's talk about things that seem ever too slightly too much like Heidigger's Everydayness.
I've also reading “Cutting for Stone” which was a great book for the most part and gave me some insight into the modern history of Ethiopia. Unfortunately, I felt the author felt into the trap of coming up with a seemingly profound idea and making something completely contrived and unrealistic occur for it to be achieved. I find it so disappointing when this occurs – just like in “Cloudstreet” by Tim Winton, where this murderer comes out of nowhere. The sceptic in me just thought, well I suppose it could just legitimately be happening but it seems like a convenient plot device.
Another book which I thoroughly enjoyed was “Me talk pretty one day” by David Sedaris. I'd listened to a few of Sedaris' pieces on This American Life and have always enjoyed his work. This book was no exception and often I read bits to Brendan because I'd be laughing so much he'd want to know what was going (or, in Brendan's charming fashion, know that I'd want to share it and so ask me what was happening so he found be as “delighted” as me – I am a very lucky young lass).
I feel very lucky to be where I am and who I am at the moment. I'm surrounded by lovely family and friends, I have an active social life which is great and I feel like I'm going in the right direction. I'm more content now than I've been in quite a while.
P.s. My camera has died. Anyone have any recommendations for a point and shoot?

1 comment:

  1. glad to read that so many things are going well, and moving off into a new and exciting direction. Congratulations love.

    ReplyDelete