Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's been a while

So it's been  a few months since I wrote anything down here so it's time to make amends. Life has been very exciting recently - for the last two weeks I've been frolicking around Australia with some of my work mates for jurisdiction meetings. It's hoped that the way data is collected nationally is going to have a bit of a face lift so the states, territories and commonwealth start doing thing with more of a national focus and look for future user needs rather than maintaining a business as usual approach. I won't bore you with details of the meetings but want to jot down some highlights.

Melbourne - luckily people like to do things with very little notice. I had no idea how much spare time would be at my disposal and whether my friend Toby, who I haven't seen since I was about 19 or so, even had the same number or was in town. Luckily the stars were aligned and I had a quick burger with him and some of his friends before they ran off for a choir rehearsal - they're performing "Carmina Burana". Ah the memories, a the questionable monks that wrote the lyrics.
We also stayed at a rather ridiculous and wonderful hotel called "The Olsen" - covered in works by the man himself. A pool with a partly glass floor and beds you can get lost in - I was highly content believe you me.

Adelaide. Adelaide is an odd place - the cbd seems to be a city of some gorgeous old buildings with hideous monstrosities interspersed between. Planners, what are you going? Also the water was awful. In my afternoon off I caught up with another friend Alistair who suggested I check out the art gallery there where none other than the works of Patricia Piccinini, whom I love for her work "The Stags" http://www.artwhatson.com.au/artgallerysa/once-upon-a-time/the-stags (and loved her new work "The lovers which I'll put a pic up of soon)
I wasn't quite as fond of her life forms with evolved mutant properties - it is hardly the point to - but I think the  questions she raises about gene manipulation and stem cell research with them are very valid.
I love the fact that the Adelaide CBD is surrounded by park lands - I had a wonderful run in them and loved the Alice in Wonderland Statues there.

Perth - Hurrah my old stomping ground. I felt very mixed about Perth - don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to be there and catch up with all of my wonderful friends who just seem to be lurching from strength to strength and turned out en force to see me (thanks guys!) but it just made me realise how much I loved my time there and how much I miss it as well. I love being in Canberra but I guess it was the first time I was establishing myself on my own terms (gap year doesn't really count) and was living with Brendan rather than being in a long distance relationship yet again. I was amused to see what's changed (more Little Cesars and San Churros! Friends buying property! ) and what really hasn't (The CBD is full of construction work seriously inhibiting anyone's ability to actually drive through it). The way Northbridge has gone is pretty sad - the amount of club related violence led for a new security measure to be taken: now when you enter a club they take a photo of you with the ID you have so if you start anything they know exactly who you are. Also met a lot of lovely WASO folk - now I am officially 2 degrees of separation from Tim Minchin as he performed with them earlier in the year :D

Darwin, Hobart and Brisbane to come but I have to run off and buy frames for my gma's 80th bday present!

No comments:

Post a Comment